Meetings and Minutes
 

Much of Freshwater Bay now has Conservation status, which is a welcome recognition of the area's historical and aesthetic importance.

The association now has over 190 members and they can recieve the e-mail Newsletter by contacting  juhunt@btinternet.com

New committee members have taken up their posts.For details, click here


Meetings
for 2016-7
 
All meetings start at 7.30pm

Day

Date

Type

Location

 Monday

 May 8th 2017

Committee Meeting

Cambridge Lodge

 Monday

 June 5th 2017

Committee Meeting

Cambridge Lodge

 Monday

 July 3rd 2017

Committee Meeting

Cambridge Lodge

 Thursday

 July 20th 2017

Quarterly Meeting

United Reform Church Hall

 Monday

 September 4th 201

Committee Meeting

Cambridge Lodge

 Monday

 October 2nd 2017

Committee Meeting

Cambridge Lodge

 Thursday

 October 26th 2017

Annual General Meeting

United Reform Church Hall

 Monday

 November 6th 2017

Committee Meeting

Cambridge Lodge

 Monday

 December 4th 2017

Committee Meeting

Cambridge Lodge



Minutes



The meeting was preceded by a talk given by Melanie Gardiner, email justask@westwight.org.uk, 07548488114, who explained what she did as the organiser of Just Ask.
Minutes of the quarterly meeting held on the 6th April 2017.
Apologies from Verral Dunlop, Paul Bakewell, Eileen Leach, Barry and Sue Ecuyer, James Day, Jane Carter, David and Esme Ballard. Minutes of the last quarterly meeting were accepted as correct, proposed by Tony Dalton and seconded by Judith Hunt.
Matters Arising: There has been no progress in the PC's negotiations with the CC about the 20mph limits or the Gate Lane Toilets.
The situation regarding the CC and the Albion Hotel remains unchanged, but it was noted that the general appearance of the building had improved.
The PC is hoping to organise a site meeting with Island Roads to discuss parking restrictions and other improvements to Afton Road.
Chairman's Report: The chairman expressed his thanks to all those who had helped in the afternoon and the evening of the day of the Spring Concert. £128 was raised of which £100 would be given to the local library.
The cost of general improvement and reseeding of the promenade area of Freshwater Bay has been agreed between the contractors and the PC. The FBRA will contribute £500 towards the work. The money will come from the donation given to us by the FVA. The remaining money will be spent on other projects. The water supply connections are to be checked, and the work will carried out after Easter. It should be completed in 3 days.
The remedial work on the fence behind the bus shelter in Gate Lane has been completed at a cost of £40. This has not been paid, but will be added to the invoice for any future work carried out by AVC.
The Association hopes to replace the hedging that is missing along the roadside hedge in Gate Lane, but only with the agreement of Island Roads.
The kissing gate on the footpath in Coastguard Lane has been removed. It will be replaced by the Rights of Way Dept. of the CC.
It was proposed that the annual subscription should be raised. The members present at the meeting agreed to the sum of £5.
Treasurer's Report: General Account £2230.52., Projects Account £2213.02.
Secretary's Report: Seats have been requested for two bus shelters, one on the junction of Victoria Road and Guyers Road, the other on the north side of School Green Road at the roundabout end. The reply has been inconclusive. If no action is taken in the near future another request will be made.
The warning sign on the Compton Bay side of Afton Down (Military Road) has been removed. When queried the answer received was "No work is to be carried out ".
At the last quarterly meeting our attention was drawn to domestic kitchen waste left in the hedge on the junction of Victoria Road and Easton Lane opposite Victoria House. Island Roads were contacted, and promptly removed it. Three weeks later another incident was reported and was immediately dealt with.
The speaker at the next quarterly meeting will be a representative from Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance.
Membership Secretary's Report: There are now 222 paid up members.
Special Events: 11th June 2017. Open Gardens. Six gardens will be open and the money raised will be donated to Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance.
5th August 2017. Provisional date for the Beach Barbecue.
7th October 2017. Day at the Bay. Any information about venues, performers etc. at www.adayatthebay.co.uk.
AOB: The Association needs a new Chairman as Tim is leaving the committee after the AGM.
The committee also needs another member to bring the number up to nine. If anyone is interested could you please contact Tim Nicholson or Felicity Wareham.
The curtains at the back of the stage in the United Reform Church Hall need replacing. It was suggested that the Association could make a contribution towards the cost.
The speed of the traffic in Stroud Road is causing problems for pedestrians trying to cross.
The Afton Road Amenity Site is now only open 2 days a week.
Concern was expressed about the clearance of scrub and trees from Tennyson Down. It was suggested that the NT was trying to expand the area of open chalk down land. The secretary is to contact the NT to request more information. It was also suggested that we should invite a representative to speak at a future quarterly.
John Medland has attended a service held at All Saints Church for Chris Smith who will be missed by many in the community. The meeting closed at 9.10.pm.
The next meeting will be on the 29th July 2017.




The meeting was preceded by a talk given by Adam Tucker 07772690273 email adam.tucker@iow.gov.uk, who explained what he did as our local area co- ordinator.
Minutes of the quarterly meeting 26th January 2017.
Apologies from Verrall Dunlop, Thelma Slade, Judith Hunt, Jane Carter, Roger and Sheila Spivey, Joan Ward, Esme Ballard and Boris Moscoff.
Minutes of the last quarterly meeting were accepted as correct, proposed by Tony Dalton and seconded by James Day.
Matters Arising There has been no progress made on the 20 mph speed limit on some of the roads in the area. There are concerns about the costs of the work in the present financial climate.
No progress has been made concerning the public toilets in Gate Lane.
The situation regarding the Albion Hotel remains unchanged.
The chairman expressed his thanks to Terry Butchers for her work on the Queen Mother's garden.
The Bay area is to receive two benches from the Parish Council.
John Medland informed the meeting that the extensive work by Island Roads, on Avenue Road, is to be delayed until later in the year.
Chairman's Report: There is a plan to start work on Afton Road in 2017, but Island Roads are running behind schedule. There was a suggestion that the Association could pay for bollards to prevent parking on the footpath if the council were willing to install them.
Work is still to be carried out, as planned, on the green area on the seafront.
The committee has walked around the area, and a few things have been noted for improvements. The committee is still waiting for an estimate from AVC to renew the fence behind the bus shelter at Freshwater Bay. We would like additional rubbish bins on the promenade. The dog bin on Afton Road needs replacing. The kissing gate at the end of Coastguard Lane is in disrepair and needs replacing. The tamarisks around the car park need cutting back.
It was suggested that one of the notice boards outside the Piano should be replaced as it was in need of repair and that another should be put in Victoria Road.
It was also decided that a seat should be placed, facing the marsh, on the green area near the bridge on Blackbridge Road.
The gap in the hedge on the top of the wall in Gate Lane is to be replanted.
Treasurer's Report: General Account £1882.42, Projects Account; £2213. 02.
Secretary's Report: It has been decided that we should ask Island Roads for fixed seats in some of our bus shelters, to bring them in line with the rest of the island. The suggestion is that we should apply for seats in the shelters at the Co-op end of School Green Road, Freshwater Bay and the junction of Victoria and Guyers Road. John Medland suggested we might be unsuccessful because of the pressure on Island Roads budget for other projects.
Membership Secretary's Report: We now have 200 members. Reminder letters are to be sent out.
AOB: Day at the Bay was very successful and a date has been arranged for this year (see below). Any other information can be found on dayatthebay.com.uk.
There was a suggestion from one of the members that the annual subscription should be raised, and by another that half of all money raised at events should be kept as funds.
There is still confusion about possible plans for a car park on the National Trust land below Terrace Lane.
Farringford is opening to the public this year. Concern was expressed, by one of our members, about the likely increase in traffic on Bedbury Lane, Gate Lane and Victoria Road. Bedbury Lane and parts of Victoria Road have no pavements and are already busy. The difficulties of walking along Victoria Road, was raised by another member, as there can be a lot of traffic including large vehicles.
The proposed work at Freshwater Bay was also raised with queries regarding the height of the wall and other issues.
Dates for the Diary:
8th February; Litter Pick
15th March Rehearsals for Spring Concert
1st April; Spring Concert. 11th June; Open Gardens. 7th October; Day at the Bay.
The meeting closed at 9.15 pm. Many thanks to all those members who attended, it is always good to see so many people on a chilly evening.



A.G.M. of the Freshwater Bay Residents' Association 20th October 2016.
Apologies from Pat and David Houghton, Verrall Dunlop, Sandy Hunt, Mark Orchard, John Medland, Joan Ward, Pearl Morley, Esme Ballard, James Day and Nigel Shaw.
Jane Carter, Becca Cameron and James Day were re-elected. Paul Bakewell was elected to the committee, proposed by Tony Dalton and seconded by Judith Hunt.
Minutes of the last quarterly meeting were accepted as correct subject to the following correction, Gayle Middleton should read Gail Middleton, proposed by John Ward and seconded by Becca Cameron.
Matters Arising: We were all very sorry to hear that Tim Nicholson is to step down as chairman of the FBRA committee next October, to concentrate on working for the Bay area as a member of the Parish Council.
We are still hoping for 20mph limits on Guyers Road, Blackbridge Road, and Easton Lane. The county council would prefer all parishes to put their requests in together.
Coach parking in Gate Lane is still causing a problem. Coaches should be moved to the allocated area in Afton Road when their passengers have left the vehicle. The repainting of the Coach Park sign on the road surface may have to wait until the road is re-surfaced. New signs will be installed next spring, in Gate Lane, and the parking restrictions will be enforced.
The situation regarding the Albion Hotel is unchanged.
The work on Coastguard Lane, to solve the drainage problem, has been completed.
The Probation Service has repainted the shelters on the promenade and St. Agnes church. The roof of the bus shelter still needs attention.
We hope to put a bench outside St. Agnes church and also near the bus shelter on the junction of Guyers and Victoria roads.
If anyone has not received a black bin please contact John Medland or phone the council on 823777.
Chairman's Report: There is a regeneration project, by the parish council, to improve the Freshwater Bay area, where maintenance has been neglected. It is proposed to resurface and reseed the green area in front of the promenade. The cost of the grass seed, approx. £ 800 to £ 900, will be covered by the money from the FVA, as it should benefit the whole area. The area between the lifeboat station and the road is to be hard surfaced. A new flagpole, which the lifeboat station has requested, will be included in the work.
There is still no agreement on the lease for the public toilets on Gate Lane. The CC is willing to pay £1000. for improvements which will cost £10,000 or more but will reserve the right to repurchase them for £1. Other councils are having the same problems.
If anyone has any ideas for projects in the area could you contact one of the members of the committee.
Treasurer' Report: The Association's Accounts have been audited by Sue Ecuyer. General Account: £ 2042. 30., Projects Account: £2207. 02.
Secretary's Report: A letter of thanks and a certificate have been received from Dementia UK for the £1400 donation of the money raised at Open Gardens.
Freshwater Bay is not a Dark Skies area. It was agreed that the secretary should investigate further. Amongst the issues raised at the meeting were concerns about planning restrictions if we decide to pursue achieving Dark Skies status.
Adam Tucker, who is our local area co-ordinator, has kindly agreed to speak at the next meeting.
Membership Secretary's Report: We now have 234 members. 22 new members have joined since the leaflet drop.
A.O.B.: Terry Butcher has agreed to take over the care of the Queen Mothers Rose Garden. Some of the roses are old, and need replacing. It was agreed that a complete replanting with drought tolerant plants would be the most suitable option.
Many thanks to Sheila Spivey for organising the coach trip to Oxford.
The same few people are doing the litter pick every month. Alec Alexander has asked if more people could help. Alec and Geoff Long were thanked, by the Chairman, for all their hard work.
Day at the Bay was a great success. David Ballard thanked those who helped raise approx. £1000 for local charities.
Attention was drawn to the increasing speed of commercial and other vehicles on all roads in the area.
Tony Dalton thanked all the committee for their work.
Dates for the diary: 5th November Bulb planting at 10 am.
9th November Litter Pick at 10am.
14th November Autumn Supper at the Sun Inn, Hulverstone.
17th December Carol Concert at St. Agnes at 6pm., with mulled wine and mince pies.
2017
1st April Spring Concert
11th June Open Gardens.
The meeting closed at 8.45pm. Many thanks to Tim and Judith for the wine and cheese.

ACCOUNTS

Quarterly meeting on July 21st 2016
The meeting was preceded by a talk given by Rachel Johnstone of Admiral Nurses. Information available from Dementia UK, 356 Holloway Road, London, N7 6PA. Our thanks were expressed by the Chairman. A cheque for £1400.00 was presented prior to the meeting.

The minutes of the previous quarterly meeting were accepted, proposed by Tony Dalton and seconded by Verrall Dunlop.
Matters Arising: Coach parking in Gate Lane is still causing concern to residents. Gayle Middleton, who attended the meeting on behalf of Dimbola, said that Environmental Health have requested that coach passengers should be dropped as near as possible to the museum for safety reasons. It was suggested that they should park the coaches, as soon as possible after unloading their passengers, in the marked space in Afton Road, and should only return to Gate Lane when everybody is ready to leave. This would prevent complaints about parking on yellow lines and the noise of engines running for 15 or 20 minutes.
The work in Coastguard Lane has been completed with no additional cost to us.
Chairman's Report: Pearl has retired after 20 years on the committee, she has worked with 6 chairmen, 5 secretaries and 4 treasurers!. She was thanked for all her hard work including the arranging of many coach trips. She was presented with flowers and a gift, and was made a lifetime member of the association.
Jane Carter Chappell has been nominated as a new committee member with immediate effect.
Plans are in place for the regeneration of Freshwater Bay. The green area of the promenade is to be restored. Professional advice has been obtained, and the cost of salt tolerant grass seed for the area is estimated at £800. The area near the Lifeboat Station is to be replaced by a hard surface.
The Parish Council is to take over the lease of the Public Toilets, they will receive a one off grant of £1000 towards improvements. Concern was again expressed about the appearance of the Albion Hotel. The Council have the matter in hand.
Treasurer's Report: General Account £1825.65.   Projects Account £2206. 02.
The Freshwater Village Association has been wound up, and the money on their account has been transferred to the FBRA for use on projects beneficial to the village.
Membership Secretary's Report: There are now 208 paid up members, an increase of 17 since the last meeting. 7 have joined us from the FVA.
A.O.B.: Open Gardens was a great success. Many thanks to Judith and all the garden owners for their hard work which raised a record amount of £2058. 06.
Many thanks to Becca for her work on the Queen's Birthday Celebrations.
Freshwater Bay is now a Dark Sky area. It has taken a lot of time and work to achieve this status.
There is to be a leaflet drop to houses in the area to encourage people to join the Association. Please contact Judith if you can help.
It was suggested that a flagpole should be placed at the Bay.
John Medland was thanked by the Chairman for his help.
Special Events:
6th August. Beach Party 6pm to 9pm. Music from the Bay Wailers and Sam Scadgell. Bring your own drinks.
5th September. Coach Trip to Oxford. There are 12 seats available. Information from Sheila Spivey ( 756577 ).
1st October. A Day at the Bay. 12 Hours of live music at various venues to raise money for local charities. See advertising for details.
10th August and the second Wednesday of every month Litter Pick.

The meeting closed at 9.20pm. The next quarterly meeting is the A.G.M. on the 20th October in the URC Hall, Guyers Road.